Tuesday, June 18, 2024
HighlightNews

Club awaits green light

DARIUS SHAHHEYDARI
PONTIAC April 22, 2020
The Fédération Québécoise des Clubs Quads (FQCQ) has announced in a press release on April 9 that it will be closing its federated trails in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
According to FQCQ, this decision falls under the non-essential travel restrictions set out by the government last month. Anyone found present on the trails could be fined as much as $1,500 - a sum which roughly translates to five years’ right of access on the trails.
No cuts in pass or insurance rates have been declared as of yet. The FQCQ said the winter season has not been shortened much and drivers were never advised to go on the trails in April or May, since thawing causes unstable terrain. The current restrictions are set to end on May 4, so for these reasons, FQCQ is waiting on a decision past this date to plan their summer season, which begins in mid-May.
In an attempt to have drivers back on their quads as soon as possible, FQCQ are in talks with the government to reopen the trails under certain conditions after the pandemic has peaked, arguing that the trails are less busy and, thus, a smaller risk of contamination compared to urban areas.
René Barrette is the president of Club Quad du Pontiac, which operates under FQCQ.
He said the money he is collecting from the summer passes, which can be acquired online for a discount until May 10, will go towards maintaining the trails for riders to go on - regardless of whether they are opened by then or not.
“Some people will buy it because they don’t want to let the club go down,” said Barrette.
Any activities organized by Club Quad du Pontiac scheduled to take place before September, have been cancelled.
One such event is the Big Wow Poker Run, a third edition of which was scheduled to take place on March 21. There were 150 people who pre-paid for this - 80 per cent of them being from outside of Pontiac, according to Barrette.
“Imagine the money we bring in one day, in the Pontiac,” he said.
Barrette has also applied for a $50 000 grant, provided by Quebec’s Ministry of Transport (MTQ) for renovating the trail from Parc Leslie to Fort-Coulonge
“I don’t know if we are going to get the money,” said Barrette. “Maybe that will all be cancelled now.” “But most important, may you families stay safe, stay home, together we will beat this.”

FREE ACCESS FOR EQUITY SUBSCRIBERS

This article is available free to all subscribers to The Equity. If you are a subscriber, please enter your email address and password below.

SET UP YOUR ONLINE ACCOUNT

If you are a subscriber but have not yet set up your online account, please contact Liz Draper at liz@theequity.ca to do so.

HOW TO BECOME A SUBSCRIBER

To become a subscriber to The Equity, please use our Subscribe page or contact liz@theequity.ca