Saturday, May 18, 2024
The Way We Were

The Way We Were

Mar. 11,1998 25 Years Ago
Early sap run sweet news for maple syrup lovers: The early bird gets the worm, the saying goes. This year, it seems, the early tap gets the sap.
Spring-like weather conditions attributed to El Nino are behind an early sap run as local maple syrup producers, large and small, ready themselves for, or in some cases begin the crucial sap run.
“I haven’t started yet,” says Clarendon’s veteran syrup maker, Eric Campbell. “I finished making my chipper and I’m cleaning branches from the roads. There’s still a lot of snow in my bushes. I should tap next week.”
Kinsmen host Shanty Days: Traditional soup and moonshine were on the menu for the Kinsmen and Kinettes zone meeting in Shawville on Saturday.
Or at least they were on the menu until honorary Kinsmen, Murry and Buffy, Clayton Dods’ miniature horses, brought in the real lunch. But the 50 or so Kinsmen and Kinettes from various clubs in the Ottawa Valley did get a kick out of the “Shanty Days’ theme rigged up by the Shawville Kinsmen which included “soup à la sock” cooked in a shanty.
Later that day the group enjoyed a sleigh ride at Thompson’s Outfitter’s in Bristol.

Mar. 14, 1973 50 Years Ago

Victoria School Carnival: Monday Feb. 26 to Friday March 2 was designated as Carnival week at Victoria Avenue High School. Each day beginning at 1:30, various activities were held at the local skating arena.
The Carnival Queen, Miss Mary Jane Coyle, a student of X1C was crowned by Mr. Bert Bechamp, the school principal. The first princess, Diane Lacourse, a student of X1A was decorated by Mr. Phil Perry. The second princess, Sheila Ward, a student of Grade XB was decorated by Mr. Vernon Carroll.
At 2 p.m. a game of Iced Ringers was played by XA and XB. The score was in favour of XA and stood at 5-0.
This game was followed by boys hockey. Captain Benny Allen headed 8A and 8B against Captain Blair Angus who headed 8C and 8D.
Art Labelle honoured: Art Labelle, after twenty-five years service as Secretary-Treasurer of the Pontiac County Council, was honoured Monday at a banquet and presented with an engraved gold watch by the mayor of all municipalities of this county.
On the same day, Mr. Labelle’s resignation was accepted with regrets by the council and he was appointed county auditor to replace Andrew Daley who has resigned.

Mar. 25, 1948 75 Years Ago

Local news: Due to the sudden thaw during the past weekend, it is estimated that over $50,000 damage was caused in the village of Quyon when waters of the Quyon River washed out a portion of the dam of the Quyon Milling Company. Huge blocks of ice floated to the main street causing blockades and marooning nearly 30 families in their homes in the east end of the village where some buildings were lifted from their foundations and moved as far as 50 feet from their original location. From three to four feet of water inundated dwellings along John street, which runs from the main thoroughfare, Clarendon Street to the Ottawa River. When poles carrying electric power throughout the village were smashed by the heavy ice, the eastern section was plunged into darkness through the night.
Dwellings, hotels and stores dependent on electric pumps for their water supply were without water and cold meals were served in homes equipped with electric stoves.
Canada supplied Britain with 43 per cent of the sawn softwoods imported during the past year or a total of 539,202 standards of 1,980 board feet.
Ottawa-Waltham train service was disrupted and had been split into two sections on Monday morning when two bents were washed out on the CPR bridge one mile west of Quyon station. The morning train had disembarked its passengers at Wyman, four miles to the west. They were transported in two buses, owned by J.A. McGahern to Quyon were they boarded another train for Ottawa. The process was reversed for persons traveling from Ottawa to points past the flooded area. The damage was repaired by Tuesday morning.
A 13-year-old Pembroke boy took action when he noticed a break in the rail of the train track. He heard the west-bound train approaching and grabbed a red scarf from the hands of a playmate and ran east down the track waving the scarf. The engineer saw the boy and stopped the train. When he saw the six-inch break in the rail, he telephoned the station and a crew were sent out to repair it. The boy, Garwin O’Brien, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.D. O’Brien, Pembroke Street East, noticed the break in the rail while he was playing with a group of children on the CPR right of way at the east end of town near the Cedars crossing.

Mar. 15,1923 100 Years Ago

Local new: The past ten days have been the busiest of the present hockey season for the local team as last week witnessed their participation in three matches, first on Monday night at Beachburg where they came out winners with a score of 4-1. Then journeying to Renfrew on Wednesday afternoon, the team lost at the hands of the creamery town to a score of 4-2.
The Quyon ice races which were featured on Thursday and Friday last, were favoured with pretty good weather and things passed off satisfactorily, although the attendance was not as large as the promoters had hoped for.
Saturday, although not to say cold, was one of the roughest days of the winter. Last year at this time, sleighing had just about petered out. Just now, the roads are very badly drifted and traveling is anything but pleasant.
A session of the Court of King’s Bench is to be held at Bryson this year, opening on he 6th of April, according to the Sheriff’s notice, published in this paper. The old county town is evidently in for a busy season if the initial part of the Power Company’s program is undertaken.

Mar. 17,1898 125 Years Ago

Local news: Some of our Main Street residents had their cellars and premises pretty badly flooded by the freshet of water on Sunday, the underground drain being incapable of carrying it off.
On election day John Brennan, of Sheenboro was in Pembroke and put up at Cecil’s Hotel. When prepared to go home, he went to the stable to get his horses, but found that horses, harness and sleigh had departed. Saturday last the horses were found with a man from Allumette Island. He was arrested for the larceny and brought to Pembroke. He was brought before Magistrate Mitchell and sent down for trial.
The carnival of last Thursday evening owes much of its success to the large crowd of young folk who came over from Braeside, notwithstanding the bad roads and the uncertainty of the carnival coming off when they did arrive. The party made a very creditable showing on the ice, the costumes worn being practically confined to them altogether, with a few exceptions.

We understand that Mr. George Walsh of Clarendon Front, narrowly escaped losing his team, sleigh and contents on Saturday morning last, by breaking through the ice while crossing the river on his way to Renfrew with a load. In the struggle, Mr. Walsh lost the greater part of his load of potatoes, two robes, and came pretty nearly getting drowned himself. However, he succeeded in getting his team freed from their perilous position and returned home.
Two sleigh loads of local adherents of the Holiness Movement passed through this village last week on their way to the Holiness Convention on the Queen’s Line, Ross, Ont. Among others, Miss Ostom, is an evangelist who has been conducting revival meetings at Yarm.
It is stated that the Conservatives of Ontario will file a number of protests against Liberals elected in the recent provincial election and that some pretty lively times may be expected to follow.
Quite a number of Wild Rose “Good” Templars came to Elmside school Friday night but owing to bad weather, there was no meeting. It is hoped they will come soon again and receive a double welcome.
The hot sun and rain of the past week has left our roads almost clear of snow in Thorne Centre and in a very bad state indeed. There is scarcely any snow to be seen in the fields surrounding the village but there are countless ponds of water and should we chance to have a cold spell, our young people will certainly have a glorious time skating.
The jobbers in this vacinity, owing to the thaw, had to suspend operations, although there are several who have completed their contracts of hauling.
The railway fare from Montreal to the Pacific Coast, by reason of the railway rate wars that have been going on lately, is now down to twenty-five dollars.


This article is available free to all subscribers to The Equity. If you are a subscriber, please enter your email address and password below.


If you are a subscriber but have not yet set up your online account, please contact Liz Draper at to do so.


To become a subscriber to The Equity, please use our Subscribe page or contact