Wednesday, July 17, 2024
The Way We Were

The Way We Were – June 12, 2024

5 Years Ago - June 10, 1999

Bonnechere tugboat lands at Léo Piché Park: A piece of Pontiac’s logging history has found a permanent home in Bryson. The Bonnechere, a 50-year-old tugboat, was lifted from the water at the shores of Léo Piché Park Friday and settled onto cement beams on the park’s grounds. The 30-ton tugboat had been grounded at the Upper Ottawa Improvement Company (ICO) lot in Fort Coulonge since the Ottawa River closed to floating log booms about 10 years ago.
The Pontiac Waterway volunteer group used what money it could raise, $16,000, to purchase the boat from the ICO, ensuring it stayed in the county. Its sister, the Bonneville, had been sold to a group in Ontario.
Four more municipalities sign on to 911: The list of municipalities in the Pontiac MRC signing on to 911 emergency service is growing. Beginning today, Alleyn and Cawood, Bristol, Fort Coulonge and Mansfield will join the other nine municipalities which have signed on in the past year.
Residents are urged to use 911 for fire, police and ambulance emergencies, though the municipalities keep the previous numbers for a period of time. As well, civic numbers must be properly displayed and callers, if able, are asked to state the municipality they are calling from so the call can be rerouted to the proper fire department, for example.

50 Years Ago - June 12, 1974

Handbell choir plays at United Church Anniversary: On Sunday morning, a large congregation gathered to celebrate the anniversary service with Rev. J. Stanley Gibson of Montreal West United Church, as guest preacher.
A feature of the morning worship was the visit of St. Andrew’s English Handbell Choir under the direction of Mr. Clifford Force, with Miss C. Edgar Hodgins at the organ, contributing appropriate anthems.
Following the evening worship, a reception was held in the church hall with hostesses, members of the UCW.
Petawawa Forest Station invites visitors: Petawawa Forest Experiment Station is again this summer inviting the public to visit its forest. Last year the station hosted over 4,000 persons at their visitors center on Hwy 17 at the Chalk River bridge. This year the centre is available to visitors seven days a week.
The visitor centre consists of an exhibit hall and a forest trail. The hall contains displays that describe some of the work that is being done at the station in fire ecology, tree physiology, viticulture and forest genetics.
Currently, many school groups take advantage of the opportunity presented to learn about forest ecology and see forest research in action by means of group tours of the station.

75 Years Ago - June 9, 1949

Local News: The 115th anniversary of the founding of Shawville United Church will be celebrated on Sunday with special services in the morning and evening. It was in the 1820’s that travelling missionaries of the Methodist Church used to come across the Ottawa to visit the settlers of Clarendon township that had but recently opened up the district. In 1890 the present building was erected but was gutted by fire in 1905. In the year 1906, using the same walls, the church was rebuilt.
The monthly report from the Pontiac Community Hospital shows that during May there were 73 admissions and 81 discharges; the daily average number of in-patients was 25. There were 4 major operations and 19 minor. Total number of births was 12, of which 4 were boys and 8 were girls.
A new transportation service, sorely needed for some time past, has been inaugurated on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River. The service consists of regular bus transportation provided by Alex Staye of Arnprior.
Ferry service opened between Norway Bay and Sand Point on June 1 and now operates on flag signal, the last trip being made from Sand Point at 8 p.m. Commencing June 24th, the ferry will operate on regular hourly schedule.
In the meantime, the Gatineau Bus Co. of Hull, Que. is reported to be giving consideration to the matter of providing regular services between Shawville and Norway Bay to tie-in with the Ferry-Arnprior bus service.

100 Years Ago - June 5, 1924

Local News: Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Walsh of Aylmer motored to Shawville on Sunday and spent the day with relatives in town.
The dwelling house of Mr. Archie Moore, in McKee section, was destroyed by fire on Wednesday evening last. No particulars.
In a chat with Mr. Ed. Lawn of Lawn Bros. Saturday evening, while on his way home from Quyon with Mr. Tom Haurahan, he informed THE EQUITY that his firm intended pushing the pulpwood business this year and were prepared to handle all they could get hold of.
Last month was one of the coldest and wettest Mays in the history of weather observation, according to records by McGill Observatory. The mean temperature was 50 degrees against a mean temperature average in the last fifty years of 55. The record was 47.9 degrees in 1907. Maximum temperature was 73 degrees on the eighteenth and the minimum was 33 degrees on the third. The rainfall was 4.75 inches against an average precipitation for the month of 3 inches. Rain fell on 15 days.

125 Years Ago - June 15, 1899

Local News: The members of Peerless Lodge I.O.G.T. of Bristol had a moonlight sail to Light House Island and back on the evening of the 24th. A pleasant time was spent by all.
The W.C.T.U. have opened up a temperance house in Mr. A. Youill’s building. This will supply a much needed want, as previous to this there was no accommodation for travelers.
Having supplied themselves with a first class system of waterworks, the citizens of Renfrew are now seriously considering the question of putting in granolithic sidewalks.
Mr. John Lester has raised the foundation of his blacksmith shop a couple of feet above its original level.
On May 24, the four-year-old son of Mrs. Warwick, a housekeeper at the employ of a gentleman in Eardley, in some manner got hold of a detonator used in discharging dynamite cartridge and proceeded to hammer at it with a nail when the cap exploded, and completely destroyed the child’s right hand and seriously injured the left. This affords another instance of the results of the careless disposition of dangerous explosives and their unlicensed use among parties who have little knowledge of their destructive powers.
Very pleased and satisfied were the expressions which marked the countenances of the Portage du Fort, Clarendon Front, Bristol and Quyon gentlemen who returned home from Ottawa on Tuesday evening. And their reasons for feeling elated were undoubtedly good. The railway charter in which these gentlemen were interested, asking for the right to build a railway from Hull to Pembroke, via Quyon and Portage du Fort, passed through the committee stages of the House of Commons after a spirited discussion in which a number of members took part.
Mr. Poupore, who is anxious to see the P.P.J. completed, so that his constituents in the western end of the county who are contributing their share of the bonus and reaping no benefit, shall have the railway facilities which is justly their due, opposed the paralleling of the P.P.J. with a competing line and urged as a compromise that the point of junction of the proposed railway would be at or near Shawville instead of Quyon.
Miss Maria Richardson, daughter of Mrs. Thos. Richardson of the 9th range Clarendon, experienced a narrow escape from poisoning on Monday evening through taking a drink out of a pail of water into which some paris green had dropped from a shelf above, where the pail was standing. Drs. Lyon and Klock were shortly in attendance and administered the usual treatment with successful results.

FREE ACCESS FOR EQUITY SUBSCRIBERS

This article is available free to all subscribers to The Equity. If you are a subscriber, please enter your email address and password below.

SET UP YOUR ONLINE ACCOUNT

If you are a subscriber but have not yet set up your online account, please contact Liz Draper at liz@theequity.ca to do so.

HOW TO BECOME A SUBSCRIBER

To become a subscriber to The Equity, please use our Subscribe page or contact liz@theequity.ca